This little slouchy beret was totally spur of the moment. I was combing through my yarn stash and started winding some skeins of miscellaneous yarns that just looked messy. During my hunt I found some leftover Microspun from at least 2 or 3 years ago and a skein of Glitterspun that I obviously had no idea what to do with. Definitely part of the “what were you thinking” era of yarn buying. Anyhoo…I had been wanting a black hat for a while but didn’t want to purchase more yarn. Alone they were not enough to make a hat…at least so I thought…but together I give you the Stripey Slouchy GLITTERY Beret.
Yarn: Microspun and Glitterspun in Black
Inspiration: Stripey Slouchy Beret (Raverly Link Here)
Needles: Size 5 for the ribbing, size 6 needles for the rest
Yardage: approx. 100 yards of Microspun and Glitterspun100.8 yards (little less than 1 ball of both)
Modifications: Used Ysolda’s Cable Cast On. Used smaller needles as I have no US7 16″ circulars. Used a 4×4 alternating stripe pattern
Enjoyment Factor: 8
- The ULTIMATE stash buster. Two yarns destine to the bottom of the stash bucket find new life in simple beret pattern. Who knew?
- I finally have a black hat…whoopee. It has been worn quite a few times already.
- The glittery yarn gives it a little pizazz without getting too glam. I specially like how the center ends with the glitterspun
- Easy pattern….it is stockinette afterall
- Microspun is not a hearty yarn so I don’t know how long this hat will live. And OMG is it splitty!
- It is a little more limp that I might have liked but that leads back to the lack of body in the microspun. I had to use some shirring elastic doubled to ensure that the ribbing did not lose its elasticity. However, this is not a bad idea for most hats.
- I still have a little more of this dang yarn. It might find its way to the trash rather than back in the stash…gasp!
- Black is very hard to photograph…LOL!
- I dislike stockinette stitch only a little less than garter stitch. The monotony is almost unbearable. Too bad it produces such utilitarian garments. Guess I just have to suck it up 🙂