So the Amy Butler Christmas crafting continued with her Snow Mum Pillow pattern. I loved all the wintery white goodness and had to have this pillow. I mean the flower alone is gorgeous but as a big snuggle pillow it made it a HAVE to have. I will be making the flower again and making it a lapel pin at some point with this gorgeous fuchsia wool I have hanging around, but that will have to be another post. For now, enjoy the details of the pillow.
Pattern: Amy Butler Snow Mum Pillow
Fabric Used: Snuggle Flannel from Joann
Notions Used: HeatBond Ultrahold, button from my stash
Pattern Alterations: Used flannel instead of wool felt and used heatbond ultra hold instead of wonderunder. 16″ instead of 18″ pillow.
- Yet ANOTHER FREE pattern (pdf link) from Amy Butler’s website. She really has been giving away some wonderful patterns this season
- I love the snuggly goodness of the flannel I used. I thought about using the wool felt but wanted something cheaper and more warm and snuggly which brought flannel to mind
- This pattern is very simple but super elegant when finished.
- I like the button I added because it breaks up the expanse of white just enough and it shines when the sun hits it bringing attention to the pillow.
- This isn’t a bad as much as an informational addition. I didn’t use the wonderunder because I already had this heatbond ultrahold NO SEW iron on adhesive already at home. I didn’t even think about it being no sew until I had used and cut the pieces. I went ahead anyway because I figured if a machine can sew through leather it should be able to handle this. I was right! I result was a firmer flower petal I think but it adds to the texture in my opinion
- I did have to use a few more petals on the second to last ring. The pattern calls for 12 small petals but I ended up using 14 because it seemed a bit sparse for me. Then I added one more inner ring of 4 small petals.
- I was so happy to use the 18″ pillow form I had lying around naked and needing a cover, but when I saw the beautiful flower on that huge pillow that also swallowed up my chair, I opted to downsize to a 16″ pillow. I think it gives just enough room on the pillow without losing the flower.
- Do you remember how I said wool felt is the mother of all cat hair collectors? Well, flannel is the daughter. I was so amped by the finish of my tree skirt that I just wanted to get this project started. I wanted another color of flannel or felt and there just isn’t that much selection that would match my house without trying to overdye it so I went with a slightly off white. So far the kitties haven’t paid it any mind so it might be safe afterall 🙂