So here is my first FO of 2010!! It only took 2 years!! 🙂
Ah well, it has marked my on and off return to the sewing room so it deserves some kudos (instead of the stink eye) despite the ridiculous lag in completion time.
Pattern: BWOF 01-2008-108 Shirt
Pattern Description: Parisian chic presents a short, shaped blouse with a bib insert, tie- collar and puff sleeves! Team it with a beret, pencil skirt and ultra-long gloves for a trendy look.
Pattern Sizing: Burda sizes 34-42. Increased to a 46 and again in hips to a 50.
Fabric Used: White on white striped stretch cotton shirting
Notions Used: 1/2″ Buttons
Pattern Alterations: Increased to a 46 and again in hips to a 50. Petite adjustments. 1/2″ swayback adjustment. Increased sleeve band length
- I love the results of my swayback adjustment! This is my number one favorite feature of this FO. I have to say it really did make the difference. Although I didn’t know it at the time, my swayback adjustment is exactly like the one done my The Slapdash Sewist so you can look there if you want to know which one of the many variants I used for this adjustment.
- The fact that this is my first white shirt and I actually feel like I will wear it. I normally don’t wear white because it is such dirt prone color. I mean is shows EVERYTHING. This shirt is no exception, but I feel I will wear it because I made it. One of the psychotic perks of sewing.
- That it is finally finished!! I believe I cut and began stitching this top back in 2008 for a PR wardrobe contest that I never finished. After getting stuck on the button band with little to know time left to finish up, I had to throw in the towel on the contest which resigned this garment to two years in sewing purgatory.
- I love perfectly done topstitching and this garment pretty much has it. I credit my patience and an adjustable blind hem foot.
- Thankfully I measured my bicep circumference before making the sleeve band. With my upsizing of the pattern, the total length of the sleeve band would have been 15 and I increased mine to 16.5 based on my measurements.
- Because of the stretch in the fabric the bust point has some little wrinkles that make me sad. But knowing all the work that went into all the topstitching and such I got over it quick
- Ok, so after reading the Burda direction two years later I was finally able to comprehend what the hell they were talking about in making the buttonband. It was not that it was particularly hard, it was that is just didn’t seem to match up as I thought it should. Later I found that although they state “no allowance at lengthwise edge of front band” they did not mean eliminate BOTH seam allowances just the one that attaches to the shirt….at least I THINK that is what they meant. Guess I will find out next time I make this top.
Overall, I really like this shirt and will make it again. Next time I will probably use a different sleeve finish as a girl only needs so many puff sleeve blouses.