Yarn:Elann Peruvian Highland Donegal
Inspiration: Ysolda Gretel – Slouchy Size
Needles: Size 5 needles for the ribbing, size 7 needles for the rest
Yardage: 2.25 balls
Enjoyment Factor: 8
Knit Time: 3 weeks 😦
- I finished my first crafty project of 2009!
- I finally knit Gretel!! I have been in love with this hat since the pattern was first debuted. I then won the pattern as one of the prizes from the Elijah contest. And finally during a bought of crafty hedonism I casted on and got to work on gretel.
- The ribbing is fantastic. It really does have lots of spring. Given I still reinforced the ribbing with some elastic because I saw that in one of my RTW hats and it really does make it feel more secure.
- Love the yarn. It is super warm and so purdy with the tweedy speckles. It is just the right amount specks and color of tweed for me to not associate it with lint out of a dryer 🙂
- Because of the yarn I used, the hat is kinda heavy. Nothing terrible but I think the elastic makes me feel better about it not sliding off.
- I was almost done with this hat when I discovered I was running out of yarn. Sure I could have modified the design and decreased faster, but I have been prone to lots of crafty mistakes lately so I didn’t want to take the chance that I would not like the end result.
- How long this hat took to make. This is no reflection on the pattern but does illustrate my own lack of time. In my past crafty life, circa 2007, this would have been knit in a day or two. Hell… I knit a SWEATER in three weeks!! But alas 2009 may not be so kind to my crafty side but I will take what I can get 🙂