(See Bottom of Post for Image Gallery)
Fabric: Stretch Satin from Fabricland
Inspiration: BWOF 01-2008-125A Blouse
Modifications:Body mods in general. Two less pintucks per sleeve due to fit issues, trimmed 3/8″ off sleeve cap top to fit in sleeve.
Enjoyment Factor: 6 – Due to inexperience only
Time: 1 week
Drum roll please…..I present to you my first Burda World of Fashion project!! I am so proud of myself for trying a BWOF pattern. I am also happy that I actually finished it so before I get started I would like to throw in a disclaimer:
- I like this shirt
- I like BWOF
- I need to sew more
That said, this post unlike a lot of other is going to be more Bad and Ugly than Good. I cannot blame BWOF for everything, but it did have a hand in some “huh” moments.
- It is my first BWOF pattern. Did I say that already? Well who cares!! I feel as though I need to proclaim this from the highest rooftop!
- The color of the fabric. This really made me fall in love with this pattern. It was just happenstance that I found this fabric, but it was meant to be this shirt.
- All those darn pintucks. Love them. They were super time consuming but they are also the only thing that distinguish this from a regular old shirt. They really accentuate the puff.
- The body of this shirt worked up pretty well. I was cruising a long with the body. I love the body. Given I could have used more room on the bottom due to my bottom and the fact that Satin shows EVERYTHING. But It is everything else that caused me to cry tears of anger and pain because pretty much everything after the body went to hell.
The Bad (Just thinking about these make me tired):
- Sleeves. A little too tight, had to release two pintucks and reduce seam allowance to get more room in the sleeve. Note to self: read up on large upper arm alterations and maybe add some more seam allowance to this problem area.
- The Sleeve cap. This thing was extremely weird shaped. It definitely had me saying “the what goes into where?”. In the end I had to shave off 3/8″ from the top to get it to set in right. This revelation only came after the fourth time putting in the sleeve. And, nope, it wasn’t caused by the two less pintucks because I added them back to make sure and it still didn’t fit. Given this could have been just me because Sigrid seemed to have no trouble with these at all and her tucks look smaller. I actually like the more fitted sleeve that I got and it looks like the one in the picture, but it was a bear to get there.
- Not interfacing the buttonband. This is one of those moments where Burda obviously thinks we all have sewing common sense. I even second guessed myself and almost put it in but tried to shush the voice inside and trust in Burda. Days after I finished that part of the shirt, I notice that Burda does not say to interface any button band. Doh! Those buttonholed puckered and squirmed as I tried to stitch them. I wanted to kick myself in the head.
- Hem depth. So I assumed a 5/8″ hem on the shirt. which for some reason turned into more of a 1″ hem in the end. Huh? Most of you seamstresses are clucking and shaking your head in disbelief. But let me sweeten the pot, I did this on Satin! STRETCH Satin. How the hell am I supposed to hem that without it looking like crap?! There is probably a magical way but since I am a newbie I tried quite a few McGyver techniques that all looked bad. So in the end Stitch Witchery won out even though I feel like a cheater but I like the look and it remains stretchy so everyone wins 🙂
- Realizing that I needed to iron the back of this shirt. Good grief. Al well the fit everywhere else pretty much ironed the rest of it out. I have got to add in more adjustments on my clothes. That is… once I figure out how 🙂
- My attitude at the end. I can’t decide if I love this shirt for how it looks or hate it for the pain it has caused. It will take me a few days but I will get over it because in the end I know that this was a learning experience that has taught me a lot. I guess BWOF equals tough love. But I am strong! I can take it. Bring it on cause I have a gazillion BWOF projects on the horizon. In fact, I have already finished tracing this little number. Muslin here we come!
In the meantime I will lick my wounds and get some knitting in. Ahhh….peaceful knitting 🙂
01-2008-125A Image Gallery