So here are the new butterfly wings. I finished the collar and it came out quite nice I think. This was after I completely over thought the process of knitting it and ended up ripping and reknitting. So here is how the saga went:
- I picked up the 142 sts to knit the collar. I knit for about 3″ and then thought, hey, why is the seam on the top side of this thing? So I kept knitting but was getting frustrated by this seemingly counter-intuitive construction.
- I stopped knitting and looked all over the blogisverse to find a closeup of a butterfly collar. No dice. I had to believe in the pattern.
- So much for faith because I ripped out the 3″, picked up the 142 sts again, this time opposite of that the pattern stated and started knitting so that the seam would be underneath the folded over collar. I got about 1 row before I knew that it was just wrong….wrong, wrong, wrong…
- So I ripped out the little I had done, picked up 142 sts again, this time the right way and kept knitting secure in the fact that this way was far less wrong than the wrong way which turns out was just WAY wrong. Hee….like the bad engrish 🙂
So 426 picked up sts later I finished the collar. Then I blocked the sleeve. Wouldn’t you know it, I suffered the same fate as my butterfly predecessors. Despite reducing the length of the sleeve from 20 3/4″ to 18 3/4″, it was still too long. So I will have to rip back the sleeve cap on the first sleeve by another 1.5″ and reknit. In the meantime, I am knitting up the second sleeve to the 17 .5″ length that I think it should be because I just don’t have the heart to rip right now.
In sewing news, I have already started the Amy Butler Goes to Hawaii crafting fest. I have finished the sewing on the front and back panels, next will be attaching the top and zipper. However, this will have to resume after a much needed break due to a recent lack of sleep. Maybe I will have a finished weekender to show you this weekender…I mean weekend.
**Said in Forrest Gump sounding voice.