Finished Object: Vogue 1086

This dress was another wadder that turned FO.  I started this one back in July 2009 during the great dress making fest and just petered out when it came to the hem and the need for some franken fixing in the bust area.  However, after the euphoria of finishing my white top I finally had the momentum to get this one done too. Yay Me!

Pattern: Vogue 1086

Pattern Description: Slightly flared dress, mid-knee, has princess seams, very loose-fitting bodice with yokes, forming cap sleeves, above waist midriff and left side zipper closure.

Pattern Sizing: B5(8-10-12-14-16)  Increased from a 16 to18  in hips

Fabric Used: Asian Print Stretch Cotton

Notions Used: 12″/14″ Invisible Zipper, Hooks and Eyes.

Pattern Alterations: Increased from a 16 to18  in hips. I made adjustments ala Erica B.’s suggestions – I also raised the neckline by almost 2 inches. I also raised the armscye.

The Good:


  • That I waited until someone else had done this project…LOL!! :smile:  I made quite a few adjustments based on others experience, especially Erica B’s.  Without these changes I would have been mighty disappointed. I raised the neckline, which still gives some va va va voom action and raised the armscye which was quite necessary.
  • I finally got to use this rather busy but pretty cotton print.  The material has a bit of stretch which was unnecessary for this project and actually caused me a bit of heart ache that I might have avoided had I had a non-stretch fabric

  • I love the pretty gathers.  LOVE.THEM.

The Bad:


  • My waistband fabric was not sturdy enough for this patterns so it shows the seam allowance after ironing.  I should have added some interfacing to give it some weight. However, the Catch22 of that hypothesis is the waistband fabric near the invisible zipper is pretty bulky or maybe I sewed it too close but zipping it up is quite a task.  It just seems to get hemmed up at the bottom of the band so I have to work it beyond the beginning of the band then then it keeps going just fine.  I guess it is only a matter of time before praying it doesn’t break isn’t enough and the poor thing gives way :???:
  • Originally this dress was going to be a muslin for a much more fabulous fabric, but alas I am unimpressed so this pattern will probably not be made again anytime soon.
  • After decreasing the armscye I probably should have added back fabric to under the bust as it seems to be right underneath the girls.

The Ugly:


  • After making all the alterations, my neckline still gave me trouble.  Some was due to the stretch fabric and the fact that I did not stabilize the neckline.  Ooops :sad: Ah well, it didn’t destroy it but did make it a little wonky…you live and you learn.  The other part was the pattern, in that the bust was still floating away from my body a bit as you can see in the pattern itself.  I had to do some Frankenstein fixing on the inside.  Amanda, with her amazing finishing skills, would have shuttered at the fix :smile: but better to wear than to wear not.
  • I wish I had discovered tricot lining before finishing up this dress.  It needs some tailored details to hang better on the body due to the cotton.  Since I am going all Jguyver on this dress maybe I will do an after thought slip with some handstitching and hem tape to hide the madness.  Or do like a sane person would and make a slip :smile:

Conclusion?  It was okay, but I can’t say I love it so it won’t be made again anytime soon.

About these ads

16 thoughts on “Finished Object: Vogue 1086

  1. I think that I’m going to have to start making dresses. I’m close to the same size as you and you look so tremendous. And you make it look easy!

  2. Wowza – it looks fabulous on you though! Awesome alteration changes along the way! That’s the thing about sewing…you know all the dirty little pesky details that foiled you along the way & all the wacky things you did to “fix” errors, unforeseen problems, etc that it gets to the point where you can’t even enjoy what you created because you can get so damn tormented by the errors/fixes/failures, etc – at least that’s what I go through!
    Despite your troubles in making this dress, it still looks awesome! Good job!

  3. this fabric is a winner, I can only imagine how it look in real life, the cut is so flattering on you, love the contrasting midriff, what a beautiful look for you

  4. It sounds like it was one of those painful projects, but the result looks fabulous. At least in photo, and therefore from the galloping horse a friend’s grandmother always refered to :-).
    Stabilizing the neckline is always a good thing, and even more when the fabric is stretchy. I also totally vote for a real slip, so you don’t have to line another dress. I think this current vogue of lining cotton summer dresses is just a reprehensible waste of time..

  5. Apparently you did a good save, because the dress is just lovely. Pattern is flattering to you and the print is just adorable! On a hot, humid day when everyone else is wilting you’ll look fresh and breezy.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s